New e-mobility platform paper on charging infrastructure
The Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Directive published in October 2014 aims at:
- facilitating the deployment of private recharging points,
- mandating the build-up of sufficient numbers of publicly accessible charging stations and
- setting EU-wide harmonised standards for charging connectors as well as for user information requirements.
While this is an important step in the right direction, a common understanding, increased Member States’ coordination and timely and appropriate implementation of the Directive across Europe will be crucial.
To this end, this paper provides a number of recommendations for the implementation of the Directive and more specifically for a pragmatic and innovation-oriented implementation of standards mandated by the AFI Directive; namely:
- the deployment of normal- and high-power recharging infrastructure;
- intermodal electro-mobility synergies;
- shore side electricity;
- smart charging;
- payment solutions and
- appropriate parking schemes.
The paper is available on the Platform for Electromobility website: http://www.platformelectromobility.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Platform-Position-Paper-Electric-Infrastructure.pdf